Chapter 2: How to Attract and Keep Small Business Clients
Part 1: What Small Business Clients Want and Why They Leave
Which CPA Services Small Businesses Use and Want
Businesses that work with a CPA report that they use the following accounting services:
- Tax return preparation (90 percent).
- Tax planning (59 percent).
- Compiling, reviewing, and auditing business records (40 percent).
- Representation at government audits (26 percent).
- Bookkeeping (17 percent).
But even though these services are the most common, these numbers don't tell the whole story. Business owners are looking for more. Those already working with CPAs reported that the following are the most desired accounting services:
- Business planning (25 percent).
- Business strategy (25 percent).
- Technological dashboards to monitor business (21 percent).
- Business analytics (20 percent).
If it still isn't clear, small businesses often yearn for help and guidance. Preparing tax returns is important, but business owners want more information, more knowledge, and more tools for keeping track of and budgeting their finances throughout the year. If you can meet that need, you're in a good position to gain clients.
25% of small businesses are willing to spend on accounting services that help them with business planning.
Next: Why Small Businesses Switch Accountants